3D printers have always intrigued me but were out of my price range. While prices have dropped I really have no genuine need for one so the price had to get really low for me to spring for one. Well, such as 3D printer has become available – $199.
A KickStarter project called QU-BD One Up caught my attention. It is small but adequate for the small parts that I envision making. The pledge group that signed up for delivers in January. The December and January deliveries are both now sold out but, as I originally wrote this, there are 172 seats left for a February delivery.After a play with it a bit and learn the ropes expect me to post a bit about it.
My kit arrived in early April.
The promotional video is at THIS-LINK.
UPDATE: May 11, 2014 – I spent two hours working on the mechanical assembly. The assembly instructions were less than inspiring and less than clear. Fortunately, the company posted a You-Tube video that helped enormously and about two hours I had most of the mechanical assembly done. My kit was shorted some washers and bolts and I will have to contact the factory to get them. I would source locally except that they are rather special and I am unlikely to find them where I live – so, I’ll wait for the factory.
Right after I received the kit, I partially assembled the extruder kit (shown below). It is missing two special bolts so I cannot finish it yet.
In the AM, the kit looked like this:
In the PM, the partially assembled kit looked like this:
ANOTHER UPDATE – May 29, 2014
My kit was shorted a couple of small Hex-Head metric bolts and I couldn’t source them locally. I filed a trouble ticket with the manufacturer but they sent me the wrong parts so I had to file another trouble ticket. This time the correct part arrived.
This afternoon I finished the mechanical assembly (see photo below) and I am about ready to tackle the electronics. However, before I do I need to do some forum research concerning the gantry. I think that the mounts are not rigid enough and the gantry will end up chattering as it goes up/down. I need to see what others are doing to stiffen the gantry mounts. I am thinking hot melt glue but maybe there is a better way.
As I progress I will post additional updates